Sunday, October 3, 2010

doom letter #21

It was recently brought to the periphery of my consciousness that some old fuck named Pat Robertson said some shit about the earthquake in Haiti. That is the extent of my knowledge, and I refuse to investigate further because doing so would be a bigger waste of time and probably less funny that reading tweets from ShitMyDadSays – which is a waste of time in and of itself.

There are plenty of people to hate in this world that are still relevant and actually pose a threat to mainstream American culture (search for my opinions under Fuck Glenn Beck and Fuck Rachel Maddow, amongst many others) so why was good art, words, social capital or breath spreading the word about some washed-up televangelist that said something predictably televangelist-y. Stop wasting good angst on bad targets. Break your mainstream liberal programming and think for your fucking selves, fine people of the left of center. This guy has no cache with anyone under the age of 75 anymore and hasn’t for at least a decade. Give a shit about someone or something topical, and pollute my web reading with that stuff instead of some criticism that just as easily could have been voiced in 1987.

I am not even telling you what to right about, I am just asking politely not to waste another word on something so silly and antequated as a religious TV personality from the 1970’s.

This may be among the shortest doom letters of all time, but sometimes saying something important only takes a couple hundred words. And in a society that is quickly becoming used to messages with fewer characters than that, perhaps I should count my blessings of consision.

brevity drinks,

mike

No comments: